U-pick Fruit in Creston: Choose Your Own Adventure
It's that time of the year to come to the Creston Valley and stock up on all the bounty!
by Ilana Cameron
The fruit here in the Creston Valley is abundant and delicious, it's one of the reasons people flock here in the summer and fall. For many its an opportunity to stop at the many fruit stands along Highway 3 in Erickson and pick up cherries or apples to take home for pie filling, tomatoes for your homemade sauce, or perhaps cucumbers or beets for pickling.
However, for the more adventurous DIY types there is also the option of going to a U-Pick, rolling up the sleeves, picking yourself, and then enjoying the proverbial fruits of your labour! Of course some farms a mix of both U-Pick and purchase if you loose time in the day!
So what's in season you ask between August and early September? In August look for Cherries, Blueberries, Peaches, Raspberries, Apricots. In September You can expect, Apples, Nectarines, Pears, as well as Grapes. While researching where to do u-pick I even discovered you can even get raspberries and strawberries in September as some varieties ripen in June and others don't even start until August.
Because so many different kinds are grown in this valley there is always something in season, until the frost hits in the fall. However, If you are looking for a specific fruit or berry it's best to call ahead to a fruit stand or U-Pick and confirm it's available and ready for the picking.
Finally, for those excited about having some fun at a U-Pick, find a short list of some excellent options here in the Creston Valley below. However, note that this is far from a full list of places to pick, as many orchards do not advertise as U-Picks. We suggest taking your time, being creative, and taking time to explore the valley while visiting one of these fantastic farms and orchards!
Keep an eye out for signs on the roads, though not always u-pick. Sometime you find great deals!
U-Pick Farms in the Creston Valley
Flamenco Farms - 2642 Erickson Rd, Erickson, BC
- When: Tuesday-Saturday, 8am - 5pm or by appointment. Call (250) 254-0357
- What: Cherries in August. Raspberries starting August 15 until it frosts.
- FYI: Their farm shop also has cherries, peaches, strawberries and more.
Romano's Blueberries - 2603 Sunset Blvd, Erickson, BC
- When: By appointment. Call ahead: (250) 428-2194
- What: Blueberries!
NC Farms - 1138 Spruce Rd, Erickson, BC
- When: By Appointment. Call ahead: (250) 428-5535
- What: plums, grapes, peaches, pears, walnuts and blackberries.
- FYI: You'll see signs for the farm on Erickson road and 32nd, it's a bit like a treasure hunt to find it. Probably best to GPS it!
The Blueberry Patch - 2782-20th Street, Lister, BC
- When: Monday-Saturday, 8am - 5pm (Summer Hours) , Wednesday-Saturday 9am - 5pm (Fall Hours). Call (250) 428-4647.
- What: Strawberries, blueberries, flowers (new this year)
- FYI: They also have a Farm shop with pies and other things to purchase. No need to kneel while picking their strawberries! They are grown in cascading upright containers which means you can pick them while standing.
Flamenco farms may not be the largest patch, but its the best spot for raspberries
Just Looking for a Fruit Stand or Farmers Market? Here's a list:
- J&B Smagh Orchard & Fruit Stand - 3851 Highway, 3, Erickson, BC
- Wloka Fruit Stand - 3524 Highway 3, Erickson, BC
- Faramon Farms - 3111 Highway 3, Erickson, BC
- Truscott Farms Fruit Stand - 3016 Highway 3, Erickson, BC
- No's Orchard - 2928 Highway 3, Erickson, BC
- Margo's Farm - 2816 Highway 3, Erickson, BC
- Spectrum Farms - 849 Erickson Rd, Erickson, BC
- Creston Valley Farmers' Market - 111 Northwest Boulevard, Creston, BC (Until October 14)
Done getting the goods and still want more?
Erickson is known as an orchard district and is the densest fruit growing region in the valley. However, while here your day could even include stops that aren't fruit related too — there are three wineries (Skimmerhorn, Baillie-Grohman Estate, and Red Bird Estate), the Art Barn, Dirty Hoe Gastro Farm and Butchery and Brittany's Flower Farm. You might want to give yourself a few days!